Leather sofas are a stylish and timeless classic that can enhance the appearance (and comfort!) of any room. These are tactile pieces of living room furniture that even enrich the room with the gorgeous aroma of fine leather.
Leather has many advantages over other materials. It is easy to care for, long-lasting and super comfortable. This is why leather sofas are always one of the most popular selections when choosing new furnishings for your home.
If you are looking to buy a leather sofa, this guide will help you choose the perfect sofa for your home.
What to look for when buying a leather sofa
A leather sofa will add a touch of class and luxury to any home. However, buying a sofa is always a big decision. This is something that will be the centrepiece of any room for years, if not decades to come. So, making sure the sofa is perfect is incredibly important.
Here are our top tips for purchasing the perfect leather sofa for your home.
1. Consider the design and shape of the room
A sofa may look fantastic in the showroom, but it has to suit the décor of your home. And it has to fit too!
A common mistake when buying any sofa is to choose one that is the wrong dimensions for your room. Too big and the room will look small and cramped. Too small can make the room look empty and characterless. Take careful measurements of your room first and make sure that the sofa you choose is suitable for the size of the room it is intended for.
On the same subject, it is always important to make sure the sofa you choose will actually fit into the room. This means that any tight hallways or staircases that the leather sofa has to navigate are taken into account.
2. Make sure the leather is good quality
Leather is the perfect material if it is a home with kids, pets, or both. Good quality leather will easily shrug off the effects of muddy pets, sticky kids, and the inevitable juice spills.
Leather sofas that are manufactured with high-quality leather will last for years if a little care, attention, and occasional maintenance are performed. Here are a few tips for keeping your leather sofa in perfect condition:
- Clean any spills or muddy pet residue immediately, this helps preserve the integrity of the material
- Always check the manufacturer’s instructions about what cleaning materials can be safely used on your leather sofa
- Dust regularly with a soft dry cloth
- Use liquid leather treatment periodically to keep your leather sofa nourished and in top condition
- Try to place it somewhere in the room where it isn’t exposed to long periods of direct sunlight
3. Leather ages
Just like its owner, a leather sofa will change as it ages. And also, just like its owners, this will add character and a certain dignity!
One of the unique aspects of a leather sofa is that its appearance and comfort can improve as time goes by. This is nothing to worry about because as long as you follow the few simple care tips that are listed above, the ageing process as the leather softens and adapts does not affect the durability of the leather sofa.
Unlike sofas that use other materials, when leather ages, it adds character and uniqueness.
4. Be patient when choosing your leather sofa
There are a huge variety of designs, cushioning levels, and frameworks to choose from when shopping for a leather sofa. This is a big decision that will be the centrepiece of your room for years to come, so take a little time to select the perfect sofa for your needs.
At Kingsbury Furniture, we have a wide range of leather sofas to suit every room size and design. From modern classics to timeless and retro, our selection of leather sofas are all superbly manufactured and use the highest quality materials available.
5. What not to do to a leather sofa
Finally, a leather sofa will last for years if treated properly and can become like an old friend. However, some things should be avoided if you want your sofa to provide comfort for years to come.
- Never use harsh or abrasive cleaners on your sofa. A mild detergent and warm water are recommended by most manufacturers. If in doubt, test your cleaning solution on a small and inconspicuous area first.
- Dust regularly – over time, the abrasive effects of dust and grit can prematurely age your sofa
- Placement – We already mentioned keeping your leather sofa out of direct sunlight, but also try to keep it away from direct sources of heat and make sure it is positioned, so it isn’t touching any rough patches of walls.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to periodically clean the crevasses at the back and side of a sofa
We hope this guide has helped you discover the joy and comfort of leather sofas. At Kingsbury Furniture, we want all our customers to be delighted with their purchases. If you need any help choosing the perfect leather sofa, then we are here to help.
Why not contact us today and speak to our expert staff, or pop in and see us and our wide range of leather sofas at our furniture store in Dublin.